A new work open work permit option is now available for essential workers and international student graduates in Canada. This revelation was made by the Minister of Immigration, Marco Mendicino. From the 26th of July, 2021, temporary residents who applied for the new pathway to permanent residency will be eligible for an open work permit pending a decision on their application.
So applicants need not concern themselves with the expiration of their temporary residency status. If their current study or work permit were to expire before the approval or denial of their application, they are free to apply for this new work permit.
This new Open Work permit eliminates the need for applicants to have to leave Canada. Work permits under this new policy will remain valid till the 31st of December, 2022.
In a Press release, Mendicino stated that this new pathway to Permanent residence represents a major step forward given the unprecedented nature of the size, speed and scope. The Minister further explained that the new permit will ensure that those who have played vital roles during the pandemic can continue their “extraordinary service”.
You may be eligible for an open work permit if you
- are an international student who graduated from a designated learning institution and are eligible for the Post-Graduation Work Permit Program
- are a student who’s no longer able to meet the costs of your studies (destitute student)
- have an employer-specific work permit and are being abused or at risk of being abused in relation to your job in Canada
- applied for permanent residence in Canada
- are a dependent family member of someone who applied for permanent residence
- are the spouse or common-law partner of a skilled worker or international student
- are the spouse or common-law partner of an applicant of the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Program
- are a refugee, refugee claimant, protected person or their family member
- are under an unenforceable removal order
- are a temporary resident permit holder
- are a young worker participating in special programs
Those who have applied for an extension on their work permits before the expiration of their current ones, may be able to maintain their status. This would offer authorization to work without a permit under the same conditions of the original while a new permit is being processed.