Australia is a popular destination for international students who want to pursue higher education in a diverse and multicultural country. However, studying in Australia can be quite expensive, as the average cost of tuition fees ranges from 20,000 to 45,000 Australian dollars per year. Fortunately, there are some affordable universities in Australia that offer quality education and research opportunities for international students. In this article, we will introduce you to some of the cheapest universities in Australia for international students, and provide you with some tips on how to apply and study in Australia.
Why study in Australia?
Australia is a country that offers many benefits for international students, such as:
• A world-class education system that is ranked among the top 10 in the world by the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings 2021Ad.
• A wide range of courses and programs to choose from, across various disciplines and levels of study.
• A friendly and welcoming culture that celebrates diversity and inclusion, with more than 550,000 international students from over 200 countries and regions.
• A beautiful and natural environment that boasts stunning landscapes, wildlife, and beaches, as well as vibrant and cosmopolitan cities.
• A strong economy and job market that provide opportunities for graduates to work and live in Australia, with post-study work rights and pathways to permanent residency.
How to apply to affordable universities in Australia?
Applying to affordable universities in Australia requires you to complete different requirements depending on your degree and chosen university. These usually include:
• An online application form that you can access through the university’s website or a common platform such as StudyLink or ApplyBoard.
• Academic transcripts and certificates that show your previous qualifications and grades, which may need to be translated and verified by an authorized body.
• English language proficiency test scores, such as IELTS, TOEFL, or PTE, that meet the minimum requirements of your chosen university and course.
• A student visa that allows you to study and stay in Australia, which you can apply for through the Department of Home Affairs website or an authorized agent.
• A confirmation of enrolment (CoE) that is issued by your university after you accept your offer and pay your tuition fees, which you need to submit with your visa application.
• A health insurance cover that meets the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) standards, which you can purchase from your university or an approved provider.
What are some of the cheapest universities in Australia for international students?
There are many affordable universities in Australia that offer quality education and research opportunities for international students. Here are some of the cheapest universities in Australia for international students, based on their annual tuition fees for bachelor’s degrees:
• University of Tasmania: The University of Tasmania (UTAS) is the second-ranked public university in Australia, and has a five-star rating for teaching. It offers courses in arts, business, education, engineering, health, law, science, and more. The annual tuition fees for international students range from 12,000 to 38,000 Australian dollars.
• University of Divinity: The University of Divinity (UD) is a specialized university that focuses on theology, philosophy, and ministry. It offers courses in biblical studies, Christian ethics, church history, pastoral care, spirituality, and more. The annual tuition fees for international students range from 14,200 to 16,700 Australian dollars.
• Federation University Australia: Federation University Australia (FedUni) is a regional university that has campuses in Ballarat, Berwick, Brisbane, Gippsland, and Wimmera. It offers courses in arts, business, education, engineering, health, science, and more. The annual tuition fees for international students range from 18,000 to 32,700 Australian dollars.
• Central Queensland University: Central Queensland University (CQU) is a multi-campus university that has locations in Adelaide, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Cairns, Gladstone, Mackay, Melbourne, Perth, Rockhampton, Sydney, and Townsville. It offers courses in arts, business, education, engineering, health, science, and more. The annual tuition fees for international students range from 19,000 to 37,000 Australian dollars.
• Charles Sturt University: Charles Sturt University (CSU) is a regional university that has campuses in Albury-Wodonga, Bathurst, Canberra, Dubbo, Orange, Port Macquarie, and Wagga Wagga. It offers courses in arts, business, education, engineering, health, science, and more. The annual tuition fees for international students range from 20,800 to 32,200 Australian dollars.
How to study in Australia on a budget?
Studying in Australia on a budget can be challenging, but not impossible. Here are some tips on how to save money and manage your finances while studying in Australia:
• Apply for scholarships and financial aid that are offered by your university, the Australian government, or other organizations. You can search for scholarships on websites such as Study in Australia, Scholarships for Development, or IDP Education.
• Choose a low-cost accommodation option that suits your needs and preferences, such as on-campus housing, homestay, shared apartment, or hostel. You can compare and book accommodation on websites such as Student.com, Unilodgers, or Flatmates.
• Use public transport, bike, or walk to get around your city, and take advantage of student discounts and concessions that are available for buses, trains, trams, and ferries. You can plan your journey and buy tickets on websites such as Transport for NSW, Public Transport Victoria, or TransLink.
• Cook your own meals, shop at local markets, and avoid eating out too often. You can find recipes, tips, and coupons on websites such as Taste, Student Recipes, or Shop A Docket.
• Enjoy free or low-cost activities and events that are organized by your university, local council, or community groups. You can find out what’s on and where to go on websites such as Eventbrite, Meetup, or WeekendNotes.
Studying in Australia can be an enriching and rewarding experience for international students, as they can benefit from a world-class education system, a friendly and diverse culture, and a beautiful and natural environment. However, studying in Australia can also be quite expensive, as the average cost of tuition fees and living expenses can be high. Therefore, it is important to choose an affordable university, apply for scholarships and financial aid, and manage your budget wisely. By doing so, you can achieve your dream of studying in Australia without breaking the bank.