Can International Students in the UK Bring their Family ?

Simple answer…YES. Absolutely.

This article explores the modalities and attendant criteria for International students in the UK to have certain members of their family visit or join them during the course of their study

As as International on a UK study visa, your partner and children may be eligible to apply to visit or stay longer in the UK.

They will effectively fall under the “dependants” category.

For this to happen, you must meet one of the following three criteria:

• Be a full-time student on a postgraduate level course (RQF level 7 or above) that lasts 9 months or longer

• Be a new government-sponsored student on a course that lasts longer than 6 months

• Be a Doctorate Extension Scheme student

Dependants must fall under one of the following categories:

• your husband, wife or civil partner

• your unmarried partner

• your child under 18 years old – including if they were born in the UK during your stay

At the point of application for their visa, you will need to corroborate the nature of your relationship. The following are considered acceptable:

• a marriage or civil partnership certificate for your partner

• a birth certificate for your chilld.


It is imperative for you to provide evidence of funds to support both yourself, your partner and all your children.
The minimum fund requirement is contingent on the location you are studying in the UK.

However, the following proof should be expected for one person:

• £845 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses in London

• £680 a month (for up to 9 months) for courses outside London

If the application for your study visa is concurrent with that if your family, you will need to provide evidence of funds to pay for the course as well as to support yourself and additional funds for each of your family members.

The funds must be in the account for at least 28 consecutive days. The end date of the 28 day period must be within 31 days of the date the visa application is submitted.

NOTE: Your partner or child does not need to prove they have this money if they’ve been in the UK with a valid visa for at least 12 months.


√ Applications for your dependants can be done online.
An application number would be needed. The application number is called a Global Web Form (GWF) or a Unique Application Number (UAN). They can be found on email correspondence from the UK HOME OFFICE about your application.

√ An appointment has to be made at at a UK Visa and Citizenship Application Services (UKVCAS) service point to provide their biometric information (fingerprints and a photo).

√ Biometrics and photographs will be taken at the visa application centre to obtain a biometric residence permit

√ Biometric residence permit it collected within 10 days of their arrival in the UK.



Each person will need to pay:

• £490 for the visa

• the healthcare surcharge

Fingerprint biometrics and Photographs are FREE.

Share This

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *